Saturday 9 October 2010

The Promise

The sun danced on the snow with a sparkling smile,
As two lovers sat quietly, alone for a while.
Then he turned and said, with a casual air
(Though he blushed from his chin to the tips of his hair),
"I think I might like to get married to you"

"Well then", she said "Well there's a thought
But what if we can't promise to be all that we ought,
If I'm late yet again, when we plan to go out.
For I know I can't promise, I'll learn to ignore
Dirty socks and damp towels strewn all over the floor.

So if we can't vow to be all that we should
I'm not sure what to do, though the idea's quite good".
But he gently smiled and tilted his head
Til his lips met her ear and softly he said

"I promise, to weave my dreams into your own,
That wherever you breathe will be my heart's home.
I promise, that whether with rags or with gold I am blessed
Your smile is the jewel I will treasure the best.


Do you think the, my love, we should marry - do you?"
"Yes" she said smiling "I do".

-  Eileen Rafter

1 comment:

Sophia said...

Oh my god *cries*

More of this please! (But only on a Saturday morning, I can't be going to work with tears streaming down my face...)