Wednesday 2 May 2007

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

I bought this book on our last trip to the USA. I bought his other book The 5 People You Meet in Heaven at the same time and I loved that book and highly recommend it. However, I found the message a wee bit sad and the message played heavy on my mind so I postponed taking on the next one until I could complete the cerebral processing.

A year later I felt ready.......I finished it in a couple of hours. I couldn't put it down and read the whole thing in one night.

The book is about a man who tries to commit suicide but before he dies he encounters the ghost of his mother who teaches him about her life and how his actions impacted her (as a person more than a mother)

Like 5 People, this book has a moral (or several). Too often, we don't know our parents except as parents. We rarely appreciate them as individuals struggling with their own demons. I didn't enjoy this one as much as 5 People and I can't say that if had as profound of an effect on me as the previous. I found the story all a bit predictable and the message a bit too contrite. I still enjoyed it and it is good value for the time it takes to finish reading it!

No comments: